Tuesday 8 June 2010

"Beautiful" Women and Real Dogs

I was in Freiburg a couple of days ago - another one of those "twee" places ... but living there must be like living in a gold-fish bowl. The place was full of touristst like me - all snapping away. It reminded me of Bowness - another "beautiful" little town. I was in a cafe sitting at a table in the sunshine, when a smart open-topped car pulled up and disgorged a fat little guy my age and his 35 year old "beautiful wife?". They sat for maybe an hour - didn`t speak much. Just when I was pondering what her upkeep must be, and thinking - I think tigers are beautiful ... but when they`re caught, stuffed and stuck on show in a trophy cabinet, you just start to feel sorry for them ... a real dog came up and sat at the table next to me. She was a bit overweight, with a flat sort of face and plenty of wrinkles - but she was friendly and in her own way beautiful. I asked if I could take her photo ... and her owners said "Of course" , when I explained I had friends with an Old English Bulldog too! ... it`s all in the eye of the beholder!

2 comments:

  1. Come on now, being a trophy wife isn't all bad. It has it's perks. I am glad you are enjoying the people watching. It's one of my favorite past times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Near this spot are deposited the remains of one who possessed Beauty without Vanity, Strength without Insolence, Courage without Ferocity, and all the Virtues of Man, without his Vices. This Praise, which would be unmeaning Flattery if inscribed over human ashes, is but a just tribute to the Memory of Boatswain, a Dog. ~George Gordon, Lord Byron, "Inscription on the Monument of a Newfoundland Dog"

    ReplyDelete