Friday 25 June 2010

Rain, rain,rain! - but every cloud ....

Spoke too soon. By the time we reached Reidlingen it was hammering down. It cleared up a bit in the evening but overnight, and off and on the next day it rained heavily. Coupled with that we arrived at two consecutive 'campsites' only to find them closed. In the end we wild camped beside a lake a few km outside a little town called Rottenacker. Despite the rain we had a lovely night at a restaurant in the town. Today day we decided to take the detour route to Blaubeuren and have a night in a B&B to dry out. So that is where this entry is coming. The town is absolutely gorgeous - all original timber frames - but the most remarkable thing is the 'Blautopf' - a massive upwelling spring coming from a hugely deep blue pool. Below it leads into an enormous cave system (supposed to be THE place for cave divers from all over the world) Nearby in some limestone caves, occupied from prehistoric times, they have the 'Earth Mother goddess figure - - breasts, big pregnant belly and bum - no head and just top part of the legs. Apparently it is the first one of its kind ever discovered, although others have now been found nearby. Over the past few days I've made up my mind - and I think Di has too. Even though she's going to carry on to Istanbul, and I have to go back to meet Sam, we are going to get back together after out trips. Tomorrow is going to be a difficult day - saying goodbye in Ulm. Post Script We carried on (in the rain still) to Ulm, but couldn't bear going our separate ways and had another night together in the town and a little B&B just off the square. Next day we set off in opposite directions - Di eastwards to Dillingen, and I went back down to a campsite marked in Erbach. Saying goodbye was awful. I discovered Erbach to have to yet another closed campsite - so I caught the train to Dillingen! There was still had best part of a week to wait before 'D-Day' so we headed down past Donauworth, then up a side valley on the Altmuhl Radweg for a few extra days. Finally the time came when we couldn't put it off any longer. At Eichstadt, Di cycled off on her way, and I took the train back to Dillingen to pass the last four days before the others arrived. Believe it or not, the weather finally changed! I'm really glad that the forecast now is for real 'summer weather' while Doz, J&J are here. I hope they enjoy it - but it's going to be a difficult time. PPS Dillingen Hospital is really good - they stopped the rather spectacular arterial bleeding quite quickly, and once the stitches were in I was as right as rain. Must make a note - never try whittling pieces of wood with a pen-knife when you are bored! Still got another 9 working fingers - but this one is still recovering!
Well - that's it! This blog is over. There are too many to mention, but thanks to everyone who have read my account of my journey, encouraged me, helped me, to the people of Germany who have been so unreservedly friendly, and to all the really wonderful people I have met along the way - especially Di.

2 comments:

  1. You can't stop blogging. I love reading about your trip. Although maybe you need to, since you are down a finger. Hope you enjoyed your B&B stay. I had to do that a couple of times when i rode across the states so I could get a hot shower and warm bath. Maybe you could come ride across the US soon! Be safe!!
    Much Love,
    Kari

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi John,

    I'm glad you didn't use my swiss knife, you would have 5 fingers left.

    Hope you're Ok, 2 more days to wait if my memories are ok.

    I'm presently in Wienna, suffered too from heavy rain in Austria, summer seems to come slowy.

    See you, have a nice trip to Passau.

    Yann (From Donaueschingen)

    www.whytdm.org

    ReplyDelete