Wednesday 2 June 2010

France was closed! ... so it was Germany all the way

I carried on South from Philippsberg, again through beautiful countryside on little tracks and lots of off-road sections to Plittersdorf. It was another brilliant day, with the sun shining and I was glad to get the tent up and into the shade (under an umbrella outside a bar of course!) The campsite was a bit of a rip off though 14.50Euros NOT including showers. The next day down to Kehl was a bit boring, with a few sections through more built up areas. On the campsite there, I was camped next to a really nice family from Nurnberg. They have invited me to visit them for a couple of days, and if it fits in with trains and things, I may well take them up on their offer.
After Kehl, for the next 2 days the plan was to do a nice leisurely 35km to a little ferry across to Rhinau, a town on the French side with a campsite, then cross back in the morning for another leisurely 45km to Breisach. It all went so well ... had a lie in, took my time setting off ... tootled along at a snails pace and caught the ferry mid afternoon, looking forward to a dossy day and a few beers ... only to find France was closed! (some kind of Public Holiday) Not a soul was stirring (and didn't look likely to any time soon) ... so I didn't have any option than to go back to Germany and carry on to Breisach. The literal translation of the word "Breisach" is "I'm completely knackered!"
Anyway I'm back in Freiburg today to buy a Radweg book for the last leg down the Danube to Ulm - tomorrow its the train up to Donaueschingen and a few days break in the campsite there to get everything washed.

No comments:

Post a Comment